Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. At no cost to you, I might earn a small commission if you make a purchase through the links in this article.
If you plan a trip to the Mexico Capital, don’t forget to put the Mexico City Hot Air Balloon ride on your itinerary!
Soaring above Teotihuacan in a hot air balloon is the ultimate adventure – you get a chacnce to enjoy a bird’s eye view of the ancient Mesoamerican pyramids and surrounding areas.
On top of that, you avoid the crowds – Teotihuacan is a UNESCO World Heritage site in Mexico visited by millions of tourists, and it can be busy! Taking a hot air balloon ride is a perfect way to see this area without sharing your space with thousands of people or suffering in the mid-day heat.
This alone should convince you to book a hot-air balloon ride to Teotihuacan! Whether you’ve already made up your mind or still have questions, let’s dive in!
✅ Check: Best things to do in Valle De Bravo
WHERE IS TEOTIHUACAN?
Teotihuacan is a popular archaeological area approximately 30 miles (48 kilometers) northeast of Mexico City. Getting from Mexico City to Teotihuacan usually takes around one to 1,5 hours by road, depending on traffic conditions.
Mexico City Hot Air Balloon: Things To Know
The hot air balloon rides over Teotihuacan typically start early in the morning, as the weather conditions are usually more favorable at that time. The experience begins with a briefing from the balloon pilot, who will provide safety instructions.
PRO TIP: Not all hot air balloon tours of Teotihuacan include a hotel pick-up. If your tour doesn’t include a hotel pick, take an Uber from Mexico City to Teotihuacan, the fastest mode of transportation.
Another option is to rent a car in Mexico City Airport or in popular parts of town. I recommend and use DiscoverCars, my favorite platform for renting cars in Mexico and other countries. It has great inventory, flexible rates and no hidden fees!
When you arrive to the site, you will have a chance to watch the balloon get inflated before boarding the basket with the pilot and other passengers. As the balloon takes off, you’ll start ascending, and enjoy the panoramic views of Teotihuacan’s pyramids, and the famous the Avenue of the Dead.
The duration of the hot air balloon ride can vary, but it usually lasts around an hour.
After the flight, you’ll descend to the ground, where a ground crew will assist with landing. Many tour operators also include a celebratory toast to commemorate your hot air balloon adventure.
Best Teotihuacan Hot Air Balloon Tours
Where to book Teotihuacan Hot Air Balloon Tours?
Availability and specific details may vary depending on the tour operator and local conditions. If you’re interested in experiencing a hot air balloon ride over Teotihuacan, research reputable tour operators.
Viator is a good place to find hot air balloon rides in Mexico City because the company vets tour operators and allows customers to leave feedback, so you can see what other travelers have to say.
Additionally, you can also research what other travelers have to say about Teotihuacan tour companies on TripAdvisor and Yelp.
MEXICO CITY PYRAMIDS HOT AIR BALLOON
Hot air ballooning in Mexico City is a popular activity that allows you to experience the city from a unique and breathtaking perspective. Here’s some information about hot-air ballooning in Mexico City:
- Locations: Hot air balloon rides usually take place on the outskirts of Mexico City, in areas such as Teotihuacan or Tepotzotlán. These locations offer picturesque landscapes of the surrounding areas.
- Flight Experience: Hot air balloon flights in Mexico City typically last about an hour, although the entire experience may take a few hours because of preparation and transportation.
- Safety: Hot air balloon operators in Mexico City stick to strict rules to ensure that the balloons are well-maintained, and all necessary safety precautions are in place. Still, you should always check reviews before choosing a tour operator.
- Weather Conditions: The weather plays a crucial role in hot air ballooning, so flights are typically scheduled during favorable weather conditions. Calm winds, clear skies, and good visibility are the ideal conditions.
If the forecast calls for bad weather, your tour can be canceled.
- Booking: To go hot air ballooning in Mexico City, you can book a flight with one of the reputable balloon tour operators in the area. They will provide you with all the necessary information regarding pricing, availability, and any specific requirements or restrictions.
Dress comfortably and appropriately for the weather, wear sunscreen, and bring your camera to capture the spectacular views during your hot air balloon adventure in Mexico City.
MEXICO CITY HOT AIR BALLOON TOURS: WHAT TO EXPECT
- Pick up early morning – Your tour company will most likely pick you up around 4-5 a.m. if you book a sunrise tour. If your tour is scheduled for later, your pick-up will likely be around 7 a.m.
- It can be chilly – Although Teotihuacan has a dry, sunny climate, it can be chilly in the morning. Wear layers so you stay warm for the duration of your trip.
- Some tours also include a visit to the ruins – Some Mexico City Hot Air Balloon rides also include an optional walking tour of the Teotihuacan ruins. This is a great option if you want to learn more history of the archeological area.
- Your tour depends on the weather – Note that hot air balloon tours are subject to weather-related cancellations or rescheduling. Be prepared for the possibility that your ride might be affected by wind, rain, or any other type of adverse weather.
- Consider your budget – Hot air balloon rides can be relatively expensive compared to other activities in Mexico City.
BEST MEXICO CITY HOT AIR BALLOON TOURS
1. Hot Air Balloon Tour – Teotihuacan
One of the most popular Teotihuacan hot air balloon tours is perfect if you are looking for more than just a standard tour of the famous ruins. The tour also includes a buffet breakfast at a local restaurant and an optional pick-up from your hotel as well as a guided pyramid tour.
2. Hot Air Balloon Ride with Optional Bike or Walking Tour
This fun tour includes a hot air balloon ride over the Teotihuacan pyramids and temples, followed by a walking or biking tour of the ruins and the surrounding neighborhoods.
The tour includes a pick-up and drop-off from your hotel as well as lunch, breakfast, and a visit to a craft workshop and a local food factory
3. Hot Air Balloon Ride with a Breakfast and Hotel Pick-Up
This hot air balloon tour of Teotihuacan boasts the best reviews. The tour includes a pick-up and drop-off from your Mexico City hotel, breakfast, and a coffee break.
4. Hot Air Balloon Ride, Archaeological zone of Teotihuacán and Cave
A fun experience that allows you to watch the assembly and inflation of the hot air balloon before taking the ride. Enjoy the magical experience of the sunrise over the pyramids of the Teotihuacan.
When you’re back, you’ll have a sparkling wine toast and breakfast at a local restaurant before continuing with a 2-hour guided walk through the Archaeological Zone. The tour includes a visit to a Pre-Hispanic cave, which was home to the ancient Teotihuacan civilization.
5. Hot Air Balloon Flight over Teotihuacán + Breakfast in a natural cave
A great choice if you are looking for a classic Mexico City Hot Air Balloon tour which includes a sunrise ride over the ancient site as well as breakfast in a natural cave.
Is the hot air balloon at Teotihuacan worth it?
Taking a hot air balloon ride over Teotihuacan is a fun and memorable experience. It offers a different perspective of the ancient site and allows you to appreciate its vastness from above.
Why you should consider Mexico City Hot Air Balloon Tour
- Breathtaking Views: The aerial views of Teotihuacan’s pyramids, the Avenue of the Dead, and the surrounding area are truly awe-inspiring. Seeing the site from above provides a different vantage point and allows you to appreciate the scale of the ancient city in a way that ground exploration cannot offer.
- Photography Opportunities: If you love photography like I do, a hot air balloon ride offers excellent opportunities to capture stunning aerial shots of Teotihuacan. The lighting conditions and the perspective from above makes for amazing photographs on a clear sunny day.
- Unforgettable Experience: Riding in a hot air balloon is a unique and exhilarating adventure. The gentle floating, the silence of the skies, and the panoramic views around the ancient ruins make for a fun experience.
- Avoid Crowds: Teotihuacan is a popular tourist destination, and the site can get crowded, especially during peak hours. By taking a hot air balloon tour, you can enjoy a more serene and uninterrupted experience, avoiding the crowds and noise on the ground.
How much is a hot air balloon ride in Mexico?
A hot air balloon ride in Mexico City costs anywhere between $100-200. The exact price can vary depending on the duration of the flight, services included, and the individual tour operator. Prices can also fluctuate based on factors like demand and season.
Some tour operators offer packages that include transportation, meals, or additional activities, which could make the overall cost higher. It’s a good idea to compare different operators, read reviews, and inquire about what is included in the price to make an informed decision.
How long is the hot air balloon ride in Mexico City?
A hot air Balloon ride of Teotihuacan usually lasts around 1 hour, however, you also need to account for travel time to and from the site where hot air balloons get launched.
The exact duration can vary depending on factors such as weather conditions, air traffic restrictions, and the specific route that a hot air balloon pilot will choose.
What do you wear on a hot air balloon ride in Mexico City?
If you plan to take a hot air balloon ride in Mexico City, make sure to wear layers, as it can be chilly in the morning and warm toward the afternoon. Put on comfortable hiking shoes, and a light jacket, because once you go up, the air will be much cooler.
- Layered Clothing: Dress in layers so that you can adjust your clothing based on the changing temperatures throughout the day. Mornings in Mexico City can be cool, but it can warm up toward the afternoon. Start with a base layer, such as a lightweight long-sleeved shirt or a t-shirt, and add a sweater or jacket that you can easily remove if it gets warmer during the flight.
- Comfortable Pants or Jeans: Opt for comfortable pants or jeans that allow for easy movement and protect your legs from the cool morning air. Avoid wearing skirts, dresses, or shorts as they may not provide sufficient coverage and could be uncomfortable during the flight.
- Closed-Toe Shoes: Wear sturdy, closed-toe shoes, such as sneakers or hiking boots, to ensure stability and protect your feet. Leave your sandals or flip-flops at home
- Hat and Sunglasses: Mexico City can have sunny and bright conditions, so bring a wide-brimmed hat or a cap to protect yourself from the sun. Sunglasses with UV protection are also essential to shield your eyes from the sunlight.
- Light Jacket or Windbreaker: Consider bringing a lightweight jacket or windbreaker to shield yourself from the cool breeze at higher altitudes. Even if it’s warm on the ground, temperatures can drop as you ascend, so it’s good to be prepared.
- Avoid Loose or Dangling Items: It’s important to avoid wearing loose or dangling items, such as scarves or long necklaces, as they may get caught or tangled during the flight.
WHERE TO STAY IN MEXICO CITY
Centro Histórico boasts some of the most popualr hotels in Mexico City where you can get picked up by your tour operator. You will also be close to some of the best things to do in Mexico City and will be able to jump on public transportation to get around quickly.
✅ Budget: Hotel Templo Mayor – a great budget hotel in the heart of Mexico City
✅ Mid-range: Domingo Santo Boutique Hotel – a beautiful boutique stay near Templo Mayor and Zocalo
✅ Luxury: La Valise Mexico City – one of the most beautiful hotels in Mexico City in a quiet walkable neighborhood
MEXICO CITY HOT AIR BALLOON RIDE: FAQ’S
How safe are hot air balloons in Mexico?
Although hot air balloons in Mexico City are pretty safe, the recent accident cast a shadow over popular activity. Still taking a hot air balloon ride over Teotihuacan remains one of the most popular things to do in Mexico City, and all tour operators take reasonable precautions to ensure a safe experience.
Are the Teotihuacan pyramids worth it?
The Teotihuacan pyramids are one of the most impressive and significant archaeological sites in Mexico, and visiting them offers an incredible lesson in history and allows us to learn about the ancient Teotihuacan civilization. You can also visit the on-site museum to see artifacts discovered during excavations of the area.
Hot Air Balloon Teotihuacan Worth It?
A hot air balloon ride offers a unique perspective of Teotihuacan and its surroundings. From the air, you can get a perspective of the layout of the city, and the vastness of the archaeological site in a way that ground exploration cannot provide.