Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. At no cost to you, I might earn a small commission if you make a purchase through the links in this article.
Pompano Beach Pier also known as the Fisher Family Pier, is one of the best spots for watching a colorful sunsride, observing local fishermen, and taking a quick stroll.
Named for former Mayor of Pompano Beach, Lemar Fisher, and his family, who have been longtime residents of the area, the pier has been recently renovated and now is almost 900 feet long which means you have plenty of space.
At the far end of the pier, the platform resembles the head of a Pompano, the namesake fish of the city with mouth and eyes. The eyes are open and fenced, so you can see straight down into the water.
Travel resources for your trip to Florida
- Accommodations in Fort Lauderdale – I use Booking
- Flights to Florida – I use CheapAir
- Travel insurance in Florida – I use SafetyWing
- Guided tours in Fort Lauderdale and other popular destinations in Florida – I use Viator
- Car rentals in Florida – I use DiscoverCars
Why visit Pompano Beach?
A perfect place to escape the hustle and bustle of popular destinations in South Florida, Pompano Beach is the area’s best-kept secret. Here you can enjoy a spectacular beach, taste a variety of cuisines and enjoy a relaxed atmosphere without dealing with the crowds.
Where’s Pompano Beach located?
222 N Pompano Beach Blvd, Pompano Beach, FL 33062, USA.
Pompano Beach Pier Price
The pier is free for visitors and has a daily fee of $6 for fishing. By comparison, Deerfield Beach charges all visitors the entrance fee for access to its pier.
If you look closely under the pier, you will spot tons of marine life, including fish. This is a perfect place to snap some photos and get a panoramic view of the Pompano Beach and South Florida Coastline and Hillsboro Lighthouse in the distance.
There are some benches along the pier where you can take a break, and shade sails so you can escape the sun.
Where to park near Pompano Beach Pier?
If you need to park your car, you can find plenty of space at the Pompano Beach Parking Garage. There are some parking meters available just across the road from the beach, although space is very limited, so it’s better to arrive early morning if you don’t want to go to a parking garage.
Hours: 7 am – 10 pm, Sunday – Saturday
Pompano Beach rules:
- No pets and no alcohol are allowed on the pier.
- If you want to go fishing, you are required to pay a $6 fee per person.
- The Bait shop offers food, beverages, and bait for purchase, as well as rod rentals.
Best time to visit Pompano Beach Pier
The best time to visit Pompano Beach Pier is any time! There are plenty of restaurants at the beginning of the pier and a lovely walk out to the end of the pier to watch the fishermen with their rods. Friendly atmosphere with laid-back people. Grab a gelato at Kilwins or a slice of pizza at Cannoli Kitchen, grab a spot along the pier and enjoy the light breeze.
Unlike other popular spots in South Florida like Miami or Fort Lauderdale, Pompano Beach doesn’t have overcrowding or loud crowds, which makes for a pleasant stay whenever you visit.
Best things to do on Pompano Beach Pier
- Enjoy the sunrise – arguably one of the best activities on the pier. You can see the changing sky colors, which makes for an incredible sight.
- Take some photos – Don’t forget to bring your camera, when visiting this place, because pompano beach Pier makes for a perfect photo opportunity.
- Watch wildlife – If you look closely under the pier, you will spot tons of marine life, including stingrays, jellyfish, and pelicans floating on the waves. This is a perfect place to snap photos and get a panoramic view of the Pompano Beach, and South Florida Coastline and Hillsboro Lighthouse in the distance. There are also some pelicans walking around looking for a meal on the pier on occasion.
- Relax -There are some benches along the pier where you can take a break, and shade sails, so you can escape the sun.
- Watch local fishermen – many locals come to Pompano Beach pier to fish and you can spot them all day long.
- Stroll along the pier – The pier is wide and has plenty of space which makes for a pleasant stroll.
- Grab a sweet treat at Kilwin’s – One of the staples of South Florida, Kiln has locations in many places like Las Olas, Lauderdale by the Sea, and Pompano Beach. It’s a perfect spot to grab a sweet treat for your walk along the pier.
- Spend time relaxing on the beach – Swimming in the ocean, or participating in water sports like jet skiing, paddleboarding, and snorkeling are some of the best activities in the area.
Pompano Beach Fishing Village
The Pompano Beach Fishing Village is a walkable beachfront area that boasts bars, restaurants, hotels, and a parking garage adjacent to the City’s First Visitors Center.
Some of the most popular restaurants in the area include Lucky Fish Pompano, Beach House, Baresco, Pier 6 Rooftop Pompano Beach, Oceanic Pompano Beach, and Kilwin’s, one of the most popular dessert spots in South Florida. And if you want to do some shopping pop into Alvin’s Island to get some beach clothing and accessories.
What else can you find in Pompano Beach Fishing Village?
What was an abandoned industrial area just over a decade ago now includes a gorgeous riverfront area with picnic pavilions, carefully maintained landscaping, dune restoration projects, and parking spots.
How to get to Pompano Beach Fishing Village:
Pompano Beach Fishing Village is accessible by foot, bicycle, car, bus, and water taxi which has a stop at the west end of Pier Street, along the Intracoastal Waterway. The type of transportation you choose depends on your starting point, budget and preferences.
Here are some details for each option on how to get to Pompano Beach:
If you’re driving from a nearby city, use a navigation app or GPS device to find the best route to Pompano Beach. Major highways in the area include Interstate 95 (I-95) and Florida’s Turnpike.
I recommend and use DiscoverCars to book cars for my trips.
They offer customer-friendly policies and flexible cancellation rates and have no hidden fees – you pay what you see online, which is a major plus! All you need to do is enter your travel dates and specify the type of vehicle that you are looking for.
The nearest major airport to Pompano Beach is Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL), about 10 miles south of Pompano Beach.
You can book a flight to FLL from your departure city. Once you arrive at the airport, you can rent a car, use a rideshare service, or take a taxi to reach Pompano Beach. You can also book a private transfer that will get you straight from the airport to your hotel.
- Public Transportation:
- Pompano Beach is served by public transportation, including buses and trains.
- If you’re traveling within the region, you can use the Tri-Rail commuter train, which connects various cities in South Florida. The Pompano Beach station is a stop on the Tri-Rail line.
- Broward County Transit (BCT) buses also operate in the area. You can use the BCT bus system to travel within Pompano Beach and to nearby areas.
- Rideshare and Taxis:
Rideshare services like Uber and Lyft operate in the Pompano Beach area. You can use their apps to request a ride to your destination. Taxis are also available for hire at the airport and around the city.
- Fishing: The pier is known for its fishing opportunities. Anglers can pay a fee to access the pier for fishing, and it’s a great spot to catch a variety of fish such as snapper and mackerel.
- Scenic Views: The pier offers panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean, making it a popular spot for sightseeing, photography, and simply enjoying the beauty of the ocean.
- Beach Access: The pier is conveniently located near the beach, allowing visitors to combine pier activities with beach relaxation.
- Picnic Areas: There are picnic tables and seating areas along the pier, making it a nice place to have a leisurely meal while enjoying the ocean breeze.
- Gift Shops and Dining: The Pompano Beach Pier area has a few shops and dining options where you can grab snacks, ice cream, or even a meal.
- Events and Entertainment: The pier occasionally hosts events, live music, and other entertainment, particularly during special occasions or holidays.
- Sunrise Watching: The pier is a great spot to catch beautiful sunrises over the ocean or to enjoy sunset views over the water.
Other fun things to do in Pompano Beach:
- Sample local cuisine: Pompano Beach has a range of dining options offering delicious seafood and other cuisines. Try local seafood restaurants for fresh catches and waterfront dining.
- Pompano Citi Centre: This shopping and dining complex features a variety of stores, restaurants, and entertainment options, making it a great place to spend an afternoon.
- Parks and Recreation: Check out local parks like Pompano Community Park or Fern Forest Nature Center for outdoor activities, picnicking, and exploring nature trails.
- The Pompano Beach Water Taxi – this popular way of transportation has 12 stops along the Intracoastal Waterway, you can hop on/hop off from Hillsboro Inlet Park down to Bokampers Sports Bar in Fort Lauderdale.
You can also rent a boat from a local marina or try paddle boarding to explore the many canals.
- Boating and Water Activities: Rent a boat or join a guided tour to explore the waterways around Pompano Beach. You can also go kayaking or paddleboarding in the area’s calm waters.
- Butterfly World: Just a short drive away in nearby Coconut Creek, Butterfly World is a tropical garden featuring thousands of butterflies, exotic birds and lush gardens.
- Cultural Arts Center: The Pompano Beach Cultural Arts Center hosts various events, including concerts, theater performances, art exhibitions, and more.
- Airboat Tours: Take an airboat tour in the nearby Everglades to experience the unique ecosystem and see alligators, birds, and other wildlife.
Best restaurants in Pompano Beach
There are many restaurants, ice cream shops, and other shops both right at the pier and within walking distance. The restaurants are varied from a snack bar to a fancy high-end option. Some have beautiful oceanside tables.
- Lucky Fish – Lucky Fish Beach Bar and Grill, an open-air restaurant with a large Keys-style Tiki Bar and live music that serves seafood, beers, and cocktails.
- Pier 6 Rooftop Pompano Beach – One of the best rooftops in the area, Pier 6 is the perfect spot to celebrate a special occasion or enjoy a fun night out in one of the most happening places along the beach.
- Kilwins – One of the best spots to grab a sweet treat in Pompano Beach, Kilwins’s is a must-stop if you have a sweet tooth.
- Baresco – Baresco offers delicious Mexican-inspired dishes and wonderful cocktails. Whether you want a casual lunch or a fancy dinner, this place boasts incredible tacos, wraps, salads, and tostadas.
- Taco Joint – A popular stop for tacos and classic Mexican dishes, Taco Joint is a small chain that offers Latin-inspired food in many destinations across Florida.
- Beach House – A casual beachside restaurant and rooftop bar where you can try a variety of dishes and carefully crafted cocktails that come in many delicious flavors.
- Cannoli Kitchen Pizza – Cannoli is a favorite pizza joint in Pompano Beach that offers pizzas and salads. The service is super fast and the staff is very friendly.
- The Rabbit Hole – One of my favorite restaurants in Pompano Beach, the Rabbit Hole is just a quick drive (or walk) away from Pompano Beach Pier.
Where to stay in Pompano Beach
- Tru by Hilton Pompano Beach – Conveniently located across the road from the beach. Tru by Hilton is a perfect 3-star hotel that has an outdoor swimming pool, fitness center, and terrace.
- Fort Lauderdale Marriott Pompano Beach Resort and Spa – located right on the shores of Pompano Beach, Marriott has 2 swimming pools, private parking, a spa and wellness center, and daily breakfast that has classic American, continental, and vegetarian options.
- Beachcomber Resort – If you are dreaming about a classic beach getaway, book your stay at Beachcomber, one of the most popular hotels in Pompano Beach that has a private beach area, private parking, as well as tea and coffee maker in all rooms. Breakfast is available every day.
✅ Check: Best Delray Beach hotels for a perfect vacation
Pompano Beach Pier: FAQ’s
Is Pompano Beach Pier free?
While there’s no charge for access to the beach, you need to pay $6 per day if you want to fish.
How much does it cost to go on the Pompano Beach Pier?
Pompano Beach is free to the public, unlike many other popular piers in the area including Deerfield Beach and Dania Beach.
Does Pompano beach have a boardwalk?
Yes, Pompano Beach has a beautiful boardwalk from where you can enjoy a view of the beach and access many restaurants like Boresco, Beach House, and Lucky Fish, as well as shopping and entertainment located in Pompano Beach Fishing Village.
Can you swim in Pompano Beach?
Pompano Beach is a perfect place for swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying a picnic in one of the pavilions near the beach.
Is Pompano Beach nicer than Fort Lauderdale?
If you’re looking for beautiful beaches, lots of nightlife options, and good fishing spots, then Pompano Beach is worth considering. But if you want to explore more famous tourist destinations or enjoy a quieter getaway without spending too much money, then Fort Lauderdale may be a better choice.
What is Pompano Florida known for?
Pompano Beach is home to over 20 miles of golden sand beaches, as well as water sports like diving, snorkeling, and paddle boarding. It’s a perfect alternative to busy destinations like Miami or Fort Lauderdale.