Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links. At no cost to you, I might earn a small commission if you make a purchase through the links in this article.
If you are traveling to Salt Lake City, you might wonder if you can use Uber to get around.
I’ve taken Uber in Salt Lake City many times, and after getting many questions from fellow travelers decided to write this article to help you plan your next trip.
Travel resources for your trip to Salt Lake City
- Accommodations in Salt Lake City – I use Booking
- Flights to Salt Lake City – I use CheapAir
- Travel insurance in Salt Lake and Utah – I use SafetyWing
- Tours in Salt Lake City – I use Viator
- Car rentals in Salt Lake City – I use DiscoverCars
Does Uber operate in Salt Lake City?
Yes, Uber operates in Salt Lake City. You can use the Uber app to request a ride in Salt Lake City and the surrounding areas. The availability of different types of Uber may vary depending on the time of day and demand. Check the app for the most up-to-date information on ride availability and pricing.
Is it easy to get an Uber at SLC?
It’s typically easy to get an Uber at Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC), but the availability depends on the timing of your trip. SLC is a major transportation hub, so you can expect a reasonable availability of Ubers. Still, it’s a good idea to have a back-up plan if you encounter any difficulties.
Salt Lake City Airport Private Transportation
Another option is to book transportation from Salt Lake City Airport to your hotel. This is a great option if you need quick and reliable transportation and don’t feel like dealing with Uber or public buses.
Private transfer from Salt Lake City Airport
You can get a private transfer from the Salt Salt City Airport to your hotel in Salt Lake City, Park City, or anywhere in the Great Salt Lake City area. You will get picked up by your driver and get transported straight to your accommodation instead of having to deal with the logistics of travel.
Can you get an Uber in Park City?
Park City is a popular tourist destination, known for its ski resorts and outdoor recreational activities. While it’s usually possible to find Uber in Park City, the availability of Uber drivers can vary depending on factors including the time of year, day of the week, and local events or festivals.
Finding Uber in Park City during the high season
During peak seasons, such as winter ski season or major events like the Sundance Film Festival, there is typically higher demand for transportation services, including Uber. This means that it could be relatively easy to find an Uber during those times.
➡️ Check my complete guide to Utah national parks
Finding Uber in Park City during the low season
During off-peak periods or quieter times of the year, the availability of Ubers in Park City might be more limited. In such cases, you may experience longer wait times or difficulty finding an Uber, especially in less populated areas or at odd hours.
To increase your chances of getting an Uber in Park City, plan ahead, especially during peak seasons or high-demand periods. Request a ride in advance and allow extra time for any potential delays.
If you can’t get Uber in Park City, you can also use local taxi services or private car services.
How easy is it to get an Uber in Salt Lake City?
Uber is a convenient way of getting around Salt Lake City, however, if you need to make frequent trips around the city, it could be cheaper to rent a car in Salt Lake City. Most Uber and Lyft cars will only accommodate 3-4 people in addition to the driver, so if you are traveling with a big group, a car rental is a better option.
✅ Read: Uber in Denver Airport
Where to rent a car in Salt Lake City
The best place to rent a car in Salt Lake City is the Salt Lake City International Airport, but you can also rent a car from car rental companies around the city.
I recommend and use DiscoverCars for my Utah road trips. It’s a flexible online platform that allows you to find car rentals in many destinations including the United States. Unlike many major car rental platforms, DiscoverCars has no hidden fees or surcharges, so you always pay what you see online.
What are Uber prices in Salt Lake City?
Uber prices in Salt La City can vary depending on several factors, including the type of Uber service you choose, distance traveled, time of day, demand, and any surge pricing that may be in effect during peak times.
To get an estimate of Uber prices in Salt Lake City, you can follow these steps:
- Open the Uber app on your smartphone or visit the Uber website.
- Enter your pickup location and destination.
- Select the type of Uber service you prefer (e.g., UberX, UberXL, Uber Black).
- The app or website should provide you with an estimated fare for your trip.
The prices you see are just estimates, and the final fare may vary. Check the Uber app for the most up-to-date pricing information before requesting a ride.
Other ride-sharing services like Lyft or local taxi companies may also operate in Salt Lake City, although taxis are typically more expensive than Uber in Salt Lake City.
How to use Uber at Salt Lake City airport?
To use Uber at Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC), you can follow these steps:
Arriving at the airport
Once you arrive at the airport, proceed to the designated transportation area. Signs or airport staff can guide you to the appropriate location.
Requesting a ride
Open the Uber app on your smartphone (make sure you have downloaded and installed it beforehand). Enter your destination in the “Where to?” field.
Confirming your pickup
The app will typically use your current GPS location to determine your pickup point. Verify that the pickup location is set to Salt Lake City International Airport.
Selecting your Uber service
Choose the type of Uber service you prefer, such as UberX, UberXL, or Uber Black. The available options may vary depending on the time and location.
Confirming your request
Review the details of your ride, including the estimated time of arrival and fare estimate. If everything looks correct, confirm your request.
Meeting your driver
Follow the app’s instructions to find the designated pickup area or meet your driver at the specified location. Be aware of any specific instructions provided by the driver through the app’s messaging feature.
Enjoying your ride
Once your driver arrives, verify their identity by confirming their name and vehicle details. Then, hop in and enjoy your Uber ride to your destination!
Stay in communication with your driver, especially if there are any complications or issues with the pickup. It’s a good idea to check for any updated information or guidance from the airport or Uber itself before your trip.
Uber cost from Salt Lake City Airport to Downtown
The average rate is approximately $10-15 USD, although the exact price depends on traffic conditions. The distance between Salt Lake City International Airport (SLC) and downtown Salt Lake City is approximately 8 miles (13 kilometers).
Additionally the cost of Uber from Salt Lake City to downtown will depend on various factors, including the type of Uber service you choose (e.g., UberX, UberXL, Uber Black), surge pricing, and any additional fees or tolls during the trip.
Uber Salt Lake City Airport to Park City
Expect to pay between $40-50 USD for your Uber trip from Salt Lake City Airport to Park City. The distance between SLC and Park City is approximately 35 miles (56 kilometers), but travel time can vary depending on traffic conditions and the specific location within Park City.
Private transfer from Salt Lake City Airport to Park City
Private transfer is a fast and convenient way to get from Salt Lake City to Park City. Your driver will pick you up in arrivals and get you straight to your hotel so you can relax after the flight.
Where to stay in Park City
- Marriott’s MountainSide – One of the most popualr hotels in Park City, this resort boasts views of the Wasatch Mountains an outdoor swimming pool, and a fitness center. If you are looking for a hotel close to ski lifts, this is the best option.
- Hyatt Place Park City – Located in 0.6 mi from Cabriolet Ski Elevator, Hyatt Place Park City has an outdoor swimming pool, a hot tub and an excellent breakfast. Parking is free on property.
- Marriott’s Summit Watch – A popular hotel in in downtown Park City, this property is close to shopping and dining and offers guest rooms with free Wi-Fi and an indoor and outdoor pool.
How to use Uber in Salt Lake City
1. Download the Uber app
Make sure you have the Uber app installed on your smartphone. It’s available for free on both iOS and Android devices. If you haven’t already, create an Uber account and enter your payment information.
2. Request a ride
Open the Uber app and enter your destination in the “Where to?” box. The app will use your device’s GPS to determine your current location. Confirm the pickup location if needed.
3. Choose your ride type
Uber offers several options, such as UberX (basic), UberXL (larger vehicles), UberSELECT (mid-range luxury), and UberBLACK (high-end luxury). Select the option that suits your needs and budget.
4. Confirm the request
Once you’ve selected your ride type, review the estimated fare and confirm the request. You’ll be able to see the driver’s details, including their name, profile picture, and vehicle information.
5. Track your driver
The app will show you the real-time location of your assigned driver. You can track their progress on the map and the estimated time of arrival. Additionally, you’ll receive notifications when the driver is closed.
6. Meet your driver
Once the driver arrives, double-check that the vehicle and driver match the information displayed in the app. Some drivers may also contact you to confirm your exact location. Be ready to board the vehicle.
7. Pay for your trip
The fare will be automatically charged to the payment method associated with your Uber account. You don’t need to exchange cash or provide a tip unless you choose to do so.
8. Rate your experience
After the ride, you’ll have the opportunity to rate your driver and provide feedback. This helps Uber maintain quality and improve its service.
Is Uber good in Utah?
Uber is a popular way of transportation around the Salt Lake City metropolitan area which has a good number of Uber drivers. However, in more rural or less populated areas, the availability of Uber drivers could be limited, and you may experience longer wait times or difficulty finding a ride, particularly during off-peak hours.
To get the best experience with Uber in Utah, plan ahead, especially during busy periods or in areas with lower availability of Uber drivers such as Moab, a popular destination for outdoor activities.
Does Utah have good public transportation?
Utah has a public transportation system that provides various options for getting around the state. The extent of public transportation can vary depending on the specific region. While public transportation in Utah can be convenient, the coverage and frequency of services could vary. Major urban areas like Salt Lake City have more comprehensive networks, while rural areas may have limited options.
Here are some key aspects of public transportation in Utah:
- Utah Transit Authority (UTA) – The Utah Transit Authority operates an extensive network of buses, light rail, and commuter rail services in the Salt Lake City metropolitan area. This includes TRAX light rail, FrontRunner commuter rail, and numerous bus routes. UTA’s services cover a significant portion of the urban and suburban areas in Salt Lake, Davis, Weber, and Utah counties.
- Ski Bus Services – Utah is renowned for its ski resorts, and during the winter season, the Utah Transit Authority operates ski bus services that connect the Salt Lake City area with popular ski destinations such as Park City, Snowbird, Alta, Brighton, and others.
- Regional and Intercity Bus Services: Several regional and intercity bus companies operate routes connecting different parts of Utah, neighboring states, and major cities. Greyhound, Megabus, and several local operators provide bus services to various destinations within and outside of Utah.
- Streetcars: Salt Lake City has a modern streetcar line known as the S-Line. It operates along a 2.2-mile route, connecting downtown Salt Lake City with the Sugar House neighborhood.
- Rural and small town transportation: In more rural areas of Utah, public transportation options may be limited. Some smaller towns and rural communities have local bus services, often operated by regional transit authorities.
Lyft in Salt Lake City
Lyft is another popular ride-sharing service available in Salt Lake City, Utah. Lyft operates similarly to Uber and provides an alternative option for getting around the city. Lyft offers various types of rides, including regular Lyft, Lyft XL for larger groups, and luxury options like Lyft Lux and Lyft Lux Black.
Lyft is slightly cheaper than Uber in Salt Lake City, which is great if you want to save money.
Where to stay in Salt Lake City
- Budget – The Quality Inn Downtown offers a complimentary hot breakfast every morning and is close to the city’s public transportation. It’s a perfect budget option if you don’t want to spend a ton of money on your stay in Salt Lake City.
- Mid-budget: Tru By Hilton Salt Lake City Airport – One of the best hotels near Salt Lake City Airport that offers continental breakfast, free parking and free Wi-Fi.
- Luxury: Kimpton Hotel Monaco Salt Lake City – Located only 10 minutes away from Temple Square, Kimpton is a petm-friebldy hotel that has a restaurant, in-room spa services and a fitness center. Guests especially like the delicious breakfast and central location of this hotel.
Uber in Salt Lake City: Final Word
Uber in Salt Lake City is a great way to explore the area, if you don’t have a car rental, and prefer a quick and easy way of transportation instead of public buses and trains. The availability of Uber in Salt Lake City depends on the time and date of your trip, as well as the season and any special events that might be going on in the city.